- 1 1/2 cups 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 3/4 oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5 oz.) box corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy)
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 400° and coat 13 x 9–inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Stir together 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl just until moist, then pour batter into prepared dish.
Bake for 20 minutes or until cornbread mixture is set. Pierce its entire surface liberally with a fork, then spread enchilada sauce evenly over it with a spatula. Cover sauce with meat, then scatter remaining 1¼ cup cheese over top. Return to oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Divide into 8 servings and, if desired, top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Based on Chicken Tamale Recipe published by Risë Minton in Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2008, and sent to me by myrecipes.com 4/30/2010.