Southern Lady’s Classic Carrot Cake
Classic Carrot Cake
1½ cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 large eggs, separated
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup whole buttermilk
2 cups shredded carrot
1½ cups finely chopped pecans
1 (8 ½ ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 (9”) cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites into butter mixture until well combined. Gently stir in carrot, pecans, and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
5. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting evenly between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Cream Cheese Frosting
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
1½ teaspoons vanilla
8 cups confectioners’ sugar
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Makes about 6 cups
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
Alternative method: Bake in a tube pan. Butter and flour the tube pan. Follow directions, but bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a wooden pick in the center comes out clean. Cut Cream Cheese Frosting recipe in half.